As much as I love practicing my staple, good ol’ standby chocolate chip cookie recipe, I was itching to add another baked treat to my cookie repertoire. Sugar cookies were a dismal failure (maybe I should have tried before I spent $40 at sur la table on fabulous cookie cutters) and oatmeal raisin cookies are always fun for my husband, and they happen to be my dad’s favorite. But my peanut butter obsession has recently taken a surge into overdrive, hence the desire to meld two of my favorite things: peanut butter and a perfectly baked, fresh from the oven, warm cookie.
I stumbled upon this FABULOUS website, www.addapinch.com , where creator Robyn whips up deliciousness on a daily basis. I’ve tried her creamed spinach recipe, and fell hard for this decadent peanut butter cookie yumminess!
The first time I tried her recipe, I noticed it was very similar to cookies I had actually been making for years! Every Christmas season, my mom and I labor over (and then devour) what we call “kissy” cookies. Kissy cookies basically consist of this peanut butter cookie recipe, but include a scrumptious Hershey’s kiss plopped in the middle before they cool. This peanut butter cookie simply substitutes the forked lines (which is super fun) for the chocolate treat in the middle. Much healthier, right?
Another goal of this peanut butter cookie foray: to discover a cookie dough that I can resist indulging in off the spoon during the Kitchen Aid mixer process. Mission: NOT accomplished. This dough is just too freaking delicious.
Anyway, here is the recipe I used, courtesy of the always inspiring www.addapinch.com. Even typing these out make my mouth water! YUM!
2 sticks softened butter
2 cups peanut butter ( I strictly favor creamy)
1 cup brown sugar (you will also need about ½ cup in a shallow bowl to roll the cookies before putting them on the cookie sheet-another majorly fun part!)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp salt (super important for flavor!)
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda (fresh baking soda is the secret to great cookies, in my opinion)
2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1. Combine dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt) in a separate bowl.
- 2. In mixer, cream butter, sugars, peanut butter and vanilla extract.
- 3. Add in eggs one at a time.
- 4. Slowly pour dry mixture into mixer to cream with peanut butter mixture. Be sure not to overmix, but that they are combined.
- 5. Scoop dough into small round balls ( I roll them between my palms, just for fun and the perfect shape)
- 6. Dip ball into sugar and evenly coat with a thin layer of sugar before dropping ball onto cookie sheet.
- 7. When all your dough is on the cookie sheet, take a small fork to imprint crisscross lines (apparently this technique is called “dipping tines”) across the top of the cookie.
- 8. Place cookie sheet in oven (preheated to 350) and bake cookies for 10-12 minutes ( I love under-baked, warm cookies)
- 9. Allow cookies to cool for at least 2 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- 10. ENJOY!
Again, much thanks to Robyn from addapinch for providing the tools to bring my peanut butter inspiration to life! These are a new favorite in my house, and now I have the urge to bake some right now!
What is your favorite peanut butter cookie recipe?
first photo courtesy of en.wikipeida.org
second photo courtesy of babble.com
third photo courtesy of visualphotos.com
fourth photo(of my cookies) from my iPhone